Friday, January 20, 2006

Lesson of the day...

Ok boys and girls. Here is your lesson for the day.

Pancakes and birthday candles together are a no-no. They mix TOO well together. How do we know this? Well I'll tell you.

Being that it is the Hunk's birthday and that he was not going to be home for me to cook him his favorite dinner, I decided that I would cook him his favorite breakfast before work. Blueberry pancakes.

Everything was going well. The pancakes were fluffy and full of blueberries. I had a nice piping hot stack of them piled up that would make IHOP cry. So, me in my wonderful wisdom and giving heart, say to myself, "Self, since you don't have stuff to make a cake, why not put a birthday candle in the pancakes and bring it out to him while singing happily the tune of "Happy Birthday. Self, you are a genius."

When you call yourself a genius, this is usually your first clue things will not end well. Of course, I guess it could be said that talking to yourself is an even better clue that things will not end well.

I digress.

I found the stash of birthday candles I had. Green. Not his favorite color but that won't matter. He will be so happy and appreciative that I made his favorite breakfast and see the wonderful wife that I am to want to make this time special for him that he'll not even notice the candles are green. I mean the man doesn't notice when I rearrange anything, change my hair color, toss away his holey clothes.... I was not worried about candle color.

So, there I am inserting candle into the top of the pancake stack. Perfect. Now, for a lighter. I know there is a lighter somewhere. The Hunk is a smoker so we 're never short on lighters. Damn! I can't find one. Ok, everything is under control. I'm the mom and the wife. I'm prepared. I have... matches!

I rummage around the junk drawer for matches and finally find them. I go back to my perfect stack of pancakes to notice..... the candle looks a bit short, did I push it in too far? Well, I can fix that! I'll just pull the candle out a bit and....wait... where's the bottom of the candle??

The hot pancakes had melted the thin birthday candle into the pancakes. Heat + wax = melty goey wax. This is not rocket science people but apparantly you have to be a rocket scientist to realize this BEFORE you put the candle into the hot stack of blueberry pancakes.

So what do I do now?? Do.... I just take it to him and hope he doesn't notice? I mean, it's only some greenish stained... pancake center. No... he'll notice. He always notices when I don't want him to. Just like he always hears me when I don't want him to but never when I'm talking right to him.

Only thing I can do. Cut out the center of his pancakes. Oh the humiliation. The perfect stack.... with a hole in the center. On top of that, he probably would want an explanation.... It's not every day you get centerless pancakes.

So I told him. "Well Pooky, love of my life, father of my children, man of peace and pacifism (is that a word?) I thought you might like to have a little syrup well in your pancakes, you know for dipping!"

He wasn't buying it. I fessed up and told him the whole sorted tale.

Then he gave me the look. Oh the look.... The look of a man who knows he married a nitwit. Fortunately for me, that's a smile that tells me he wouldn't change that for the world.

Happy Birthday, baby.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hehehe aawww