Monday, July 09, 2007

Bug Bites

Every once in a great while I have problems decided between two things. Crochet or read?

Unfortunately I can't do both and since my iPod is out of comission (*sob*), I can't listen to audio books while I crochet. It seems to me that the need to crochet or read comes in phases. I'll get bit by the crochet bug and start a project and work on it diligently for several days, or until it is completed, providing it only takes those several days. Usually though the fervor of which I started the project wears off, or the monotony of the pattern sets in and after a week, more or less, or the weather is just too hot to want a crochet project all over my lap, I'm looking to move on to other things. Sometimes this is a new crochet project, sometimes it's a book.

When I get hit by a book book, it tends to last longer than the crochet bug. The book isn't repetative (if you're lucky) and keeps you interested far more than counting out stitches to a pattern. It also isn't heavy or hot in your lap (the way afghans or shawls are). Usually books don't cause wrist fatigue unless I'm reading a particularly large and heavy hardback cover like George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series. Those suckers are BIG.

A reading phase can last anywhere from reading large chunks of a book to reading it cover to cover. It just depends on how willing my boys are to let me have some quiet time to read. I've gotten better at reading in 'non-quiet' times but it is when I'm constantly getting up for something every 30 seconds that tends to really put a damper on book enjoyment. When you have read the same 3 sentences for the last 10 minutes and you still have to read them to grasp what they are saying.... well, that's pretty much my clue that now is not the time to read. Sometimes on occasion the reading bug will hit me long enough to read an entire book and begin another. Usually though, I'm itching to get back to crochet after an entire book if I make it that long.

The dilema, you see, are the times in which both bugs have bitten me. When the night comes and all the house is nice and quiet with the wee people and the Hunk all sound asleep in their beds. (Is it just me or has the urge to start reciting Twas The Night Before Christmas hit you too?) This is the time that is mine. I can watch teevee, I can read, I can crochet, I can play on the computer and do such things like update my blog (see? I'm here.. updating.. for you!). It's like there's so many things I want to do in the solitude of my night when I can enjoy the interruption free zone.

Sometimes one desire is stronger than the other and reading or crochet will win out over the other. Other nights I end up on the computer pattern hunting (free crochet patterns on the net suck so if you have any suggestions that aren't from the Lionbrand site or the freecrochetpatterns.com site, let me know!) and print out future projects I'll eventually some day get to.

Tonight however, I took the opportunity to organize my yarn, finally, into one localized place. Well mostly localized. I still have my crochet thread in a plastic drawer, and my fun fur, 3-1lb. skeins as well as my Caron Simply Soft Quick yarn in the china hutch cupboards and drawers. For the most part though I've gotten everything into the linen closet. I wish I had more shelves so that I wouldn't have to stack yarn. That way I could see all the yarn stacked behind what you see on the middle shelf. Yes, there is yarn behind all that... to the top.


So, as I promised, I'd show you the yarn stash that my SIL got for me. (MIL paid for it but SIL picked it out.)(Sorry some of the pictures came out blurry.)

This is the yarn that I'm using to make the granny square lapghan with. The colors are as rich and vibrant as they look, and they do have that 'shine' to them. As you can see, it is a thick rope-like yarn.


This is Red Heart SuperSaver yarn in some nice autumn, earth tones. No clue what to use it for yet.

Misc. colors and assortments of verigated Red Heart SuperSaver.

SuperSaver solids. I really like the gray and was thinking of making a granny square motif style afghan with the blue, but I still haven't decided yet.

Misc. Red Heart SuperSaver sport weight yarn and Caron's Simply Soft in purple (not blue as the picture shows)and a pastel-based verigated yarn.

Bernat Softee Chunky in various colors and Caron's Simply Soft Tweed in purple.

Lionbrand Microspun. This is the really splitty but really soft yarn. I love it. I'm going to be making a lapghan out of the turquoise (picture makes it more blue), lime, and yellow. I hope that there's enough to make it a decent size. That's the thing about going with a pattern for another type of yarn, you just don't know what you'll end up with in the end.

Here's crochet thread in various sizes (10 and 20) and colors. I love every single color/style she got me.


Misc. stuff! She bought me knitting needles (no, those aren't joke needles!) size 50. They are known around the knitting community as 'speed stix'. She also got me 3 pairs (in 3 sizes) of Red Heart Crystalites knitting needles. I like them because there is more grip than aluminum which are super slippery. She also got me several small books with knitting and crochet stitches and various projects.


Did I not make out like a bandit? Seriously. I think I have enough yarn stashed for another.... few months? Weeks?

*whispers* We can hope....teehee.

No comments: